Monday, February 14, 2011

Home Improvement Tools Go Mobile

“There’s an app for that.” Words that now have become well known throughout the somewhat tech-savvy world. For those of us in the home improvement industry though, it’s not so much something we’re in the know about. But after talking with some of my younger relatives, I have come to discover that this whole smartphone, app-thing might be breeching into areas other than just games and music. I did a search for home improvement iPhone apps the other day and came across the most interesting article. Check this out:

So there are now apparently a few iPhone applications that you can download that help you with your home improvement projects. Now I don’t know if you’ll ever get me to go over to the tech-centric dark side, but I found these interesting to point out to my readers.

Sherwin Williams has a “ColorSnap” app that may come of some use to some of you out there. It allows you to take a photo of anything you may come across and then it finds an exact paint color match for you. You can also take that color and create an entire custom color palette from it. I think it even shows you a map of the closest Sherwin Williams providers to you.

Now this next app, just about knocked me onto the floor in a ball of what could either be explained as laughter or utter confusion. The “Real Tools” app has 18 different tools that you might find in a tool set. But how could a cell phone take the place of a hammer you say? Well, fear not, there is no hammer in the set. But there are things like a flashlight, a ruler, a various digital angle gauges, a virtual tape measure and a level. Now I’m just as stumped as the rest of you as to how these actually might be feasible, but testers have claimed each work accurately. Weird, huh?

There are a few more apps that you can get that have to do with home improvement, but I thought these were the most interesting. Each cost no more than $2.00. As a home improvement contractor myself, I think I’ll stick to the basics.

You can check out the apps I found in this article:
http://mashable.com/2010/07/06/iphone-apps-home-improvement/

No comments:

Post a Comment